Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ilini weekend: 98, 99, 100 for Dancer

March 22, 2010
It was a great weekend for the Illini as they went three for three, but it was especially good for Brad Dancer, who ended the three day stint with his hundredth victory.


It all started on Friday with a rare morning match against Ball State. Dennis Nevolo led No. 11 Illinois to a shutout victory. After a short rest, the Orange and Blue were back on the court with Illinois State, dropping only one match , a marathon where Skip Span squeezed past Connor Roth 4-6,7-6(3),1-0 (10-5).

The Sunday match against No. 34 Wisconsin on their own turf was far from an easy victory. The Illini dropped the doubles point with losses at one and two doubles. The singles were tight, with the first victory going to Marek Michalicka of Wisconsin over Nevolo, allowing the Badger to remain undefeated for the season and giving his team a 2-0 lead. That would be it for Wisconsin, though, until after Marek Czerwinski’s clinch, and  Brad Dancer would go home with win number 100 in his fifth year as head coach of the Fighting Illini.

The University of Illinois women also had a winning weekend and it was also over the Wisconsin Badgers. It was a 5-2 win outdoors, finished by Chelcie Abajian. It was the fourth straight victory for the Illini women

Men-

Illinois 4, Wisconsin 3
Marek Michalicka (W) defeated Dennis Nevolo (I), 6-2 7-5
Marek Czerwinski (I) defeated Moritz Baumann (W), 4-6,7-6(3),6-3
Patrick Pohlmann (W) defeated Abe Souza (I), 6-4,4-6,7-6(5)
Johnny Hamui (I) defeated Luke Rassow-Kantor (W), 6-4,6-1
Stephen Hoh (I) defeated Billy Betha (W), 6-3,1-6,6-3
Bruno Abdelnour (I) defeated Michael Dierberger (W), 1-6,6-3,6-2
Baumann/Michalicka (W) defeated Czerwinski/Hoh (I), 8-4
Dierberger/Rassow-Kantor (W) defeated Souza/Roth (I), 9-7
Nevolo/Abdelnour (I) defeated Freeman/Pohlmann (W), 8-5

Women-

Illinois 5, Wisconsin 2
Megan Fudge (I) defeated Katya Mirnova (W), 6-3,6-2
Hannah Berner (W) defeated Marisa Lambropoulos (I), 5-7 ,6-3,1-0(10-8)
Leigh Finnegan (I) defeated Jessica Seyferth (W), 6-1,6-4
Chelcie Abajian (I) defeated Angela Chupa (W), 7-5,6-2
Alaina Trgovich (W) defeated Breanne Smutko (I), 3-6 7-6(4),1-0 (10-8)
Amy Allin (I) defeated Aleksandra Markovic (W), 6-3,6-2
Leigh Finnegan/Megan Fudge (I) defeated Hannah Berner/Alaina Trgovich (W), 8-0
Chelcie Abajian/Rachael White (I) defeated Kathleen Saltarelli/Jessica Seyferth (W), 8-4
Breanne Smutko/Marisa Lambropoulos (I) defeated Angela Chupa/Katya Mirnova (W), 8-4

Photo of Brad Dancer with former Illini Ryan Rowe
Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment